The Challenge 2000Marist Gap Year has begun!
This year we have nine wonderful young people who have said ‘YES’ to this Gap Year journey and experience. This diverse group of young people come from around New Zealand – Nelson to Otaki and even as far as Mexico.
The Gap year participants have been busy in their first few weeks. There has been a mixture of introduction, induction, fun, team building, familiarisation and educational modules on code of conduct, boundaries. As well as just getting to know the who, what, when, why and how.
Four weeks into the year the gap participants are now very much apart of the day to day life of Challenge 2000. They are playing a role in providing support and service to Challenge 2000 , our whanau and wider community.
Gap students have already:
– Helped with Catholic Social Service street day appeal
– Run breakfast clubs in schools
– Been involved in the planning and running of a Children’s Day event
– Planned and been involved in a Challenge 2000 youth mass
– Played sport with young people
– Supported and served in the community through gardening, lawn mowing, house cleaning, and much more!
– Acted in a drama
– Begun their Youth Work Certificates
– Mentored and tutored in Primary Schools and High Schools
– Made posters and painted
– Started placements with various social services and organisations in Wellington
If you would like to know more about how to support the Gap programme or sponsor a participant, then contact Kitty McKinley on (04) 477 6827